New York's vital records for birth, marriage, and death are explained in this guide.
Extracted from the Digital Revised Edition (2017) of the New York Family History Research Guide and Gazetteer, every New York researcher will want to have this on hand.
NYG&B members receive $5 off - please log in (refresh this page after logging in) to ensure this discount is applied.
Please note that this is a secure PDF and cannot be printed or edited. Text, images, and other content cannot be copied.
Contents of this Guide
This guide includes the following sections:
History of Vital Records in New York
- New York's Vital Records Law of 1665
- Surviving Vital Records of the Colonial Period
- Vital Records of the Late-Eighteenth and Early-Nineteenth Centuries
- Vital Records Held by Selected Cities from 1852 to the Present (Table)
- Vital Records of the Modern Era
Other Records: Divorce and Adoption
- Divorce Records
- Adoption Records
New York State: Accessing the Vital Records
- Practical Information
- Record Keeping Exceptions for Some New York Cities
- Other Sources of Official New York State Vital Records
- Locations of New york State Vital Records Microfiche Indexes (Table)
- Summary of New York City Vital Records Held at MUNI by Borough
- Indexes to Official Vital Records of New York State
New York City: Accessing the Vital Records
- What is New York City?
- Vital Records of New York City
- Borough of the Bronx (Bronx County)
- Borough of Brooklyn (Kings County)
- Borough of Manhattan (New York County)
- Borough of Queens (Queens County)
- Borough of Staten Island (Richmond County)
- Summary of New York City Vital Records—Location and Accessibility (Table)
- Main Online Indexes for Vital Records (Table)
- Original Card Indexes to Vital Records at MUNI (Table)
- A Note About Marriage Records in New York City
- Main Online Indexes to New York City Vital Records
- Newspaper and Serial Records
Substitutes for Vital Records
- Church Records
- Slave Birth Registrations and Abandonments
- Census Records
- Other under-utilized NY-specific record sets